Thursday, February 18, 2010

All Roads Lead to water


Well, they finally picked up my boat and are working on it. Took them about 5-minutes to get it started, which shows how little I know about engines. At least I have a kicker in case the main engine goes down. This photo is of the dock where I keep my boat. No, the boat in the photo is not mine, but the empty buoy is where my boat normally is. The tides here in Palau are extreme when compared to Hawaii. If the tide is not too low, the area in the photo that is exposed reef is high enough to drive your boat over. But at low tide you have to be real careful. There are a lot of reefs here in Palau just waiting for you to run into. I have been lucky and have a good feel for the reefs now but you can never be too sure. After I get my boat back I plan to do some more exploring around Risong Bay, which is just opposite the mountain (rock island) in the background. Might even get adventous and paddle there.

I am amazed at how many people have boats here. Just about everyone. Of course, living in Palau you really need a boat to get to the best places. I'm also amazed at how many small docks there are around. Almost all roads will eventually lead to a dock or pier of some sort.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that the boat you used on your expedition?

muslin backdrops