Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Another Church



Another day, another church. This church has a bit of a story. It is the only time when I got grief from people for taking photos. As always, I had parked the car and asked some people nearby if it was okay to take some photos of their beautiful church. They said yes so I set up my camera and tripod. By the time I was set up, they were already gone. As I started taking photos, two guys came up. I could smell beer on their breath and they wanted money for me taking photos of "their" church. Now, I was going to say something like "doesn't the church belong to God", but I bit my tongue and let them know I had asked permission. Undaunted, they said I was going to make a lot of money selling photos of the church. So, I did what every self respecting photographer would do. I told them I wasn't going to pay them money (I don't lie and say I don't have any) but would delete the photos. I pressed a couple of buttons on the back of my camera and showed them a blank screen saying the photos were deleted. Got back in my car and drove away, with the photos still intact. Just goes to show it ain't hard to fool a drunk. So, today I post the church photo that was the 1st time someone tried to extort money from me.

P.S. 99.9999% of the people here are the friendliest people I have ever met. Most are very happy that you want to photograph their beautiful souroundings. Treat people with respect and almost always you get the respect back. But as in any place in the world, there are assholes out there. Don't let that discourage you.

No comments: