Monday, December 1, 2008

Moon Shot

You don't need a telescope to take photos of the moon, although a long lens helps. This photo was taken with my camera and my 100-400mm canon lens at 400mm. When shooting the moon, I always remember "moonie 11". What this means is a good starting point is 1/Iso at f11. So, If I am shooting at ISO 100 at f11, my shutter speed would be 1/125th at f11 (remember your camera won't have 1/100th so you need to go 1/135th). That will give you a good target. Check you histogram for blown out highlights. Remember, a lot of the viewfinder will be black, so expect your histogram to be bunched up to the left side. What you want is to make sure you don't have any of the histogram touching the right side. If you don't have a histogram, then start at 1/125th and then bracket to make sure. This is one of my favorite shots of a full moon in American Samoa. I am impressed with the detail you can get with just a camera and a long lens. No telescope here.

No comments: