Friday, November 28, 2008

family


Photography is a journey. You are constantly learning new things (and making mistakes). At least that is how it is with me.
Take Thanksgiving at our house in American Samoa. My kids have about a 30 second attention span. Which means I had to get the photo set up beforehand to have any chance of getting a decent photo. Now the challenge is that the room is darker than the outside. So, if I wanted to have the outside not blown out, the room would be dark. So, I first set up my camera and without using flash, found the proper exposure for the outside light. Then, I added the flash and dialed the power in until I liked the lighting on the table. I used a 60-inch umbrella which threw light everywhere, which is what I wanted. The last two photos show without flash and then with the flash added in. When the turkey was set up, I just turned on the flash and shot three frames. Unfortunately, I see that in the final photo, the umbrella is seen in the reflection of the door glass. Oh well, live and learn. The kids were just too restless to formally pose, so I had to take what I could get. And Yes, I made the turkey (I do so every year for the kids).






















No comments: