Friday, November 21, 2008

FiaFia Night in American Samoa


Fiafia night in American Samoa. A chance to eat great Samoan food and watch dancers. Reminds me of a Luau in Hawaii. This is one of my favorite photos from a fiafia night at Sadies by the Sea (hotel in American Samoa). To me, this photo shows so much freedom and happiness. American Samoa is a great place to visit, although they need to develop tourism. A person recently remarked to me how slow things are here and the more I thought about it, the more he is right. But, that is what makes it a great place to raise a family. You don't have to worry about your kids like you do in the U.S. Violent crime is low and I can send my kids to school on the public transportation (aiga bus) without worrying. They have also seen a very unique culture during our five years here.
Now for this photo I wanted a little bit of a different look. Not color, but not black and white. To achieve this look, I opened my photo in photoshop. I then created a new layer and adjusted the saturation of the Red (and to a much lesser extent the yellow) channels negative. This had the effect of desaturation the photo, but not all the way. I just goofed with it until I got something I like.
There are times when American Samoa (like every other place) gets you down and looking at my photos remind me at how unique the place is and how lucky we are to be here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing nice post. i have been looking information on the "FiaFia Night in American Samoa " this discussion has solve my concern to a great extent . i am grateful.


hotels samoa