Sunday, November 9, 2008

Opportunity


I have been lucky in that I haven't been really sick for awhile. I generally take a vacation around flu season and make it a point to stop in Hawaii and get my flu shot. Unfortunately, work has been such that I have not been able to get to Hawaii and I got really sick this week. We are talking lay in bed for two days with a fever sick. But, by Thursday I was well enough to get back to work and Friday was better. I was hoping to get some photography in on Saturday but when I woke up it was storming. But American Samoa has unpredictable weather and at 4:30 it looked like the rain had stopped. I decided to grab a sunset at the last moment and made it to this spot just as the sun was setting. Luckily the drive was long and my camera was in a ziplock bag warming up during the ride (going from an aircon house to a humid environment means fogged lens if you aren't careful) so I was able to throw the camera on a tripod, stick a GND on the lens and this is one of the results. 30-minutes later it was all over and time to pack up. But I'm happy I went as the sunset was really nice. Now when I first started, I loved nothing better than a getting a photo of the Sun (larger the better) as it set. Now I don't care for the typical sunset photo (to cliche for me) and I normally carry a wide angle lens instead and shoot the colors. Nothing like some clouds to make the colors in the sky pop and this was a good day for that. Hope you enjoy this photo, which is hot off the press.

No comments: