Sunday, November 23, 2008

Street Kids



I took this photo early in the morning in the Philippines. I had gotten up very early to walk around and see what was interesting. I came across this girl carrying a baby. There were still some people sitting outside this local bar (must have been about 5:00AM) and she was making the rounds trying to get some change. I have mixed feelings about giving money to street kids in the Philippines. Not that I mind giving (quite the contrary) but most of the time the money does not go for food. I remember one time giving some change to some kids and then going into a store to buy some soda. As I went to check out, the kids were in line in front of me buying glue. They were using my money to get high. After that, I stopped giving money. However, if I am in a place with a lot of street kids, I will sometimes buy a bunch of burgers from McDonalds or Jolly B and give them out. At least I know they won't spend the money on drugs.

This photo was taken with my camera in my right hand and I was holding my flash in my left. I do not believe the photo would had been as dramatic if I was using my flash on camera.

I also wanted to post this photo because it is a good reminder to me, how lucky I am. As the holidays approach, don't forget those less fortunate (including the many Americans that are now out of work). Count your blessings and make it a point to help those less fortunate than you if you can.

No comments: